I plan to continue doing singular book reviews on this blog (I have a good one coming up for you shortly!), but I thought it might be nice just to sum up a few books that have really helped me start to shift towards a healthier lifestyle. There are so many books out there, and the ones on this list are but a few of those that I have read, or am yet to read. These are the ones that I feel have really made an impact on me, allowing me to understand my body and food better, and challenging me into thinking what lifestyle I want.
The authors of these books give lots of advice, but there is room for molding your own lifestyle out of it, rather than sticking religiously to another person’s ideas. I found that really empowering. It is about educating yourself so that you can make the right choices for you.
- Angel Detox by Doreen Virtue and Robert Reeves – this book devotes lots of attention to detoxing your body, lifestyle, diet, emotions and relationships. After all, there is no point sorting out on area of your life and remaining unbalanced and happy in the others! Doreen and Robert give lots of helpful advice, from recipes to prayers and affirmations. I find it spiritually useful and empowering as well as practical.
- The Honest Life by Jessica Alba – this book really made me think about the chemicals we are surrounded by in our homes, make up and diet. It is very thought-provoking and eye-opening, but with an incredibly positive attitude and real, practical tips.
- Deliciously Ella by Ella Woodward- I love the recipes in this book. Healthy, easy, nourishing and enjoyable. Nothing about Ella’s philosophy is restrictive or difficult. It’s all about being healthy but true to your likes and taste. It is about honouring yourself in every way. Ella’s own journey back to health from a serious illness is very inspiring. I also love these recipes because Ella is UK-based, which means she has wholesome, hearty food in there too. I often find it difficult to follow the recipes or lifestyle tips of health gurus based in hotter climates – it isn’t always practical or enjoyable for those of us living in colder climes.
- The Beauty Detox Power by Kimberly Snyder – this book beautifully highlights how our emotions affect our body, and thus our diet. It changed the way I look at cravings, for instance. I’m not perfect, but at least my awareness is growing as to why I want to eat certain things. This is indicative of a bigger picture, and to what is really out of alignment in your life.
- The Body Book by Cameron Diaz – I was pleasantly surprised by this. It isn’t just another book written by a celebrity sharing their tips. There is a lot of science in here, but it is presented in a way that is easy to digest, fun and engaging. Cameron is to the point but encouraging. It really is helping me to understand my body and what it needs.
I hope these books help you if you decide to give them a read (if you click on their names in the list you can purchase them either through Hive Books or Amazon).
What books have helped you? I’d love to know.